Re: [SLUG] hire the handicapped

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 18:20:57 EST

> I'll try the command line CVS you mentioned. If I can figure out how to make
> CVS work in Quanta Gold (it actually supports highlighting for fewer
> languages than Q+ -- but still many more than I would care to code in), I'll
> buy it.

In order to create the CVS repository, use "cvs init" (ie mkdir
/home/bill/cvsroot ; cvs -d/home/bill/cvsroot init)
To import an existing tree of files into CVS use "cvs import" (ie cvs
-d/home/bill/cvsroot import myproject start initial)

To check-out a "managed" copy of the same project use "cvs checkout" (ie cvs
-d/home/bill/cvsroot checkout myproject), this will create a directory called
myproject (under your current working directory). Any operations conducted
inside this working directory can omit the -d/home/bill/cvsroot, because the
working copy knows where it was checked-out from.

NOTE: the directory tree that you imported was not changed; your original
directory tree is not a "CVS working copy" and cannot be updated, diff'ed,
committed, etc. As soon as you "import" immediately "checkout" a working copy in
order to use CVS.

To see which project files are out-of-date: cvs stat | grep File: | grep -v
Up-to-date
To see the 'diff' of which lines are out-of-date: cvs diff
Note that all of these operations on a working directory are conducted from the
current position in the tree, and down.
for the tree:

myproject
      |------articles
      | |--------css
      | \-------html
       \-----games
                     \------htdocs

if you are in the articles directory and you type "cvs diff" or "cvs update" or
"cvs commit", you will view or change only the files in articles and articles/css
and articles/html, nothing under games will be viewed/changed. This is very
handy if you know that you have unstable stuff under games that is not ready for
prime time, but you want to publish the articles. I haven't played much with the
GUI clients, so I am not sure how much they maintain this "I am sitting at a
certain position in the tree" behavior.

--ronan