[SLUG] (FWD) BOUNCE slug@lists.nks.net: Admin request of type /\bsubscribe\b/i at line 8

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 17:54:52 EST

False administrivia bounce.

----- Forwarded message from slug@lists.nks.net -----

From: Bill <selinux@home.com>
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Linux Evaluation/Comparison of Linux Server
Distributions.
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:12:57 -0500

On Friday 08 February 2002 13:54, you wrote:
> I'm look for white paper comparisons. Something that says something
> like..."Suse does {this} better than Red Hat but is deficient to Caldera in
> {this} area..etc...

I sent the following at roughly 10 am but I don't see it on the slug
list yet:

"There is a plan underway at mdlug (to s*bscribe, go to www.mdlug.org)
to develop a rather comprehensive collaborative rating system using a
voting database with some sort of arrangements for weighting. Although
you probably want an immediate answer, this project has the potential to
ultimately become "authoritative" (in the sense of being based on a wide
array of clueful / clueless user experiences with a wide array of Linux
distros.). It's not my project so I don't think I have any vested
interest in promoting it ... but it looks like some sharp thinking. I
believe Russ H from owlriver.com has offered server space, and two or
three guys have jumped in on it, so it looks to be a serious
undertaking."

I think the goal is to develop a table listing various distros and various
traits with a numerical ranking to facilitate "at a glance" analysis of the
various distros v. needs and also to serve as a goad to the distros that are
generally weak in a number of areas.

--
We're sorry, but due to ongoing security concerns, we no longer accept e-mail
attachments created by Microsoft applications. Please accept our apologies

----- End forwarded message -----