Re: [SLUG] DHCP or BIND

From: Steven Johnson (alinuxguru@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 15:37:08 EST

There is a DHCP server (dhcpd) and a DHCP client (usually pump or dhcpcd).

A DHCP client (dhcpcd) sends out a broadcast request to your LAN [OK,
uber-geeks I know about IP helper so let's not muddy the waters here].
asking for an IP address. A DHCP server (actually anything on the LAN, but
only the DHCP listens for and works with a DHCP request) hears that request
and provides the client an address.

BIND is DNS and provides name resolution only. It does not provide IP
Addresses. I have some easy to read reference material on DNS and BIND at
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/sjohnson/ Just click the "Linux Resources" tab
on the left.

Now, there is something called Dynamic DNS. This is probably what you were
thinking of. The basic premise of this is that the DHCP server doles out the
IP address to the client and then contacts a DNS server (can be the same
server) to put in the "A" and "PTR" records for you. In this case, *in
effect* the DHCP server is also maintaining DNS information as well *sort
of*.