Re: [SLUG] WAS about Linux THANKS

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 18:01:30 EST

   I want to thank everyone that answered my security
inquire about working as root. The response was great!
   I have much of it to re-read, and many man pages to
go over, before I understand all of it.

   I became worried after I realized: I all too often get
busy and I forget to kill my dhcpcd demon, now that I
am on Road Runner.

   I am just a user, and I have been in the habit of working
as root, just as I did while using M$ DOS for about 10 years
before I up graded to LINUX.

(( I couldn't get winblows 3.11 (or 3.1) to work, never enough
resources, so I really went from DOS to LINUX.))

   I find it impossible to get things done without spending an
enormous amount of time going back and fourth between being
the root user and a commoner, to change permissions and
ownership's. I haven't learned to work as a mere mortal yet.

   My reference to `Mr. Lu' was based on a true UNIX + LINUX
trojan horse, (that I read about) most likely designed to get
(some of) America's department of defense secrets, and after
changing a bunch of files, E-mails files to a working address
in mainland China.
   That doesn't bother me, the fact that some cracker may get
it and change it to suit themselves, to target us users does.

   Harassing M$ users is likely to get boring before too long,
(like shooting ducks in a barrel) and LINUX will be a new
challenge for them. (I know the feeling.)
   I hope others found this subject interesting also.

       73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
    100% LINUX, 100% of the time. SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm