Re: [SLUG] Re: backup of linux files

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 23:19:09 EST

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Josh Tiner wrote:

> That's find to backup that way if you are only doing just a few dirs - or
> just like a monthly or incremental backup - but if you have a serious backup
> schedule for your computer or network - it's good to have something a bit
> more robust than that IMHO.

hunh ?? What requirements are you thinking of ??

I run automated scripts which rsync content to a central
staging backup server hourly on a back side network, and tar
24G of content to tape daily. I can go back in time to the
most recent prior hour _immediately_, or any day within the
last 6 weeks in under an hour, using wholly open source tools.

No trick to expand the scope of coverage -- with hashed email
directories, I designed a 'rotary' rsync schema Friday, to
capture mail spools continuously and rotate them through
stages of backup to permit going back to any prior hour of the
day, or any day back as far as the customer wishes to pay for
tapes in the DLT autoloader and library. cron, rsync, ssh,
and tar.

-- Russ herrold