Re: [SLUG] Re: backup of linux files

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 14:12:39 EST

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 11:02:49PM -0500, steve wrote:

> Hmm, robust. What problems have you seen with tar, or do you mean you prefer
> something more, eh, automated. Snazzier interface? I'm not trying to start a
> flame war, just curious of your point view as tar is the all time most used
> backup util under unix, and I've never seen any problems with it...

Tar has one problem. If something glitches in the middle of a tar
archive, the remainder of the archive is useless.

I use (among other things) tob to back up to tape. It is set to use
afio/cpio and gzip to compress each file and store it individually on
tape. For a bad spot on tape, I lose only the file that spot was in. It
can be set to use other backup methods, or back up to hard disk.

But Russ's suggestion of using rsync is excellent, since apparently
rsync only transmits the differing bits, not whole files.

Paul