Re: [SLUG] A ggod one for all of you,,

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 19:19:30 EST

> You'll be taking RAM away from the system that
> would normally be used for read/write cache. The kernel is *still*
> going to try to cache reads/writes from/to the file, even if its on a
> RAMdisk, but now there will be much less memory available to the kernel
> to do that.

> Linux tries *VERY HARD* to order disk I/O to be most efficient given
> available resources.

   I have a 1 gig Athelon processor and 1 gig of DDR ram, I don't know
how to patch the kernel for my IDE chip set yet, (I am just a user)
so I do not have UDMA on my drives yet. (very new chipset)

   When I play a .wav file I have a 12 meg cache, they play wonderfully,
when I play any MP3 it is interrupted at almost every disk access,
so I would love to be able to copy the file to a ram disk before playing
them (with mpg123) because:
   "Linux tries *VERY HARD* to order disk I/O to be most efficient given
available resources." but it can't play my MP3's with out skipping.
The kernel isn't caching these files for me.

   If my confusor can't run with a 100 meg a ram disk sucked out of my
1 gig I need to go back to DOS. I had always had a 64 meg ram disk
in DOS, when I had 640 meg of ram and everything ran trouble free.
(and no other disk access, no multitasking what so ever)

   I have been trying to get a ram disk LINUX in working for years.

       73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
    100% LINUX, 100% of the time. SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm