Re: [SLUG] ISA Ethernet troubles solved!

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 23:14:11 EST

Okay, after much following the of the config files, and reading of the man
pages, and a little thinking, I figured out my problem. The short answer is
that something was wrong in one of the config files, and I figured out what
it was, and fixed it.

The longer answer follows:

When the system boots, it runs modprobe. modprobe looks at /etc/modules.conf,
which is combination of the files in /etc/modutils. In /etc/modutils, there
is a file specifically for my ethernet card. In my case, it's 3c509. I had
one in the P-133, but not in the 486. (I don't know where this file comes
from in the P-133...I guess it's put there somehow by the kernel, or the
installer??) I copied the one over from the P-133 to the 486, but it still
didn't work. I finally figured out that the options contained within the
3c509 file weren't right for the card in the 486, so I changed the options to
the correct ones (which I got from the isapnp tools) for the 486 and bingo!
It worked. So now my eth0 comes up, and modprobe/insmod can find it, without
me having to give an explicit path.

Thanks to all for the help!

Russell