Re: [SLUG] Setting up incoming email

From: Bill Triplett (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 06:19:25 EST

On Thu, 2002-02-21 at 23:30, Bill wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a fixed IP and the right to run servers over it. I
> have a URL pointing to my machine for web serving. Now I want to
> add ftp and my own mail server.

It _looks_ like you are using your fixed IP as a front for a nat'ed
network of servers. It will probably work for most services... mail,
www... but ftp is a nat-mare (har har har :) ).

> The online manuals for Proftpd are pretty lame (many links simply say
> "fixmefixme") so I am looking for better how-to's than the guide
> provided by the folks who wrote the stuff. When I ftp in, it says :
>
> 220 ProFTPD 1.2.5rc1 Server (ProFTPD Default Installation)
> [a.organic-earth.com]
> USER bill
> 331 Password required for bill.
> PASS xxxx
> 230 User bill logged in.
> TYPE I
> 200 Type set to I.
> PWD
> 257 "/home/bill" is current directory.
> PASV
> 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,172,17).
> LIST -a
>
> ... and that's where things stop. So I know it's running ...
> and I know it's broked. Any tips on a good (preferably free$$)
> source of info would be much welcomed.

Here is a pretty good guide to how FTP works, esp. the difference
between active and passive modes. Post more information about your
server's network situation (firewall, etc.) and whether your client is
on the same network or out on the internet somewhere (if so, is it also
behind some kind of nat-ing firewall/router).

http://www.slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

> ALSO
> I want to run a mail server so I can have an email address to
> match the website URL.
>
> (snip)
>
> So ... I need some tips on setting up a mail server ... including how to
> handle my icann records (I know next to nothing about that particular
> alphabet soup!)

The DNS howto at
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/DNS-HOWTO.html
is a pretty good start for a general overview.