[SLUG] IP spoofing and tracking

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 23:45:34 EST

Ok, security question here for both Linux and Windows:

I have a friend (Using Win2k a his main box, that poor lost soul) who
has as of late been getting ping-bombed. He lives in an appartment
complex that has their own internal LAN for the entire complex. He was
able to find out the IP from where the pings were apparently comming
from. However, when he tracked it down, he found out that it wasn't the
person with that IP doing that - someone was spoofing their IP to this
other person's. He was able to determine that the pings were comming
from within their network, but hasn't been able toget any more info than
that. I was wondering if there was a tool - under either Windows or
Linux - that would be able to track the IP to the true source, a way of
somehow un-spoofing the address?

I know this must seem vague, but I didn't get too many details when I
was talking to this guy - I was kinda in the middle of something that
took a bit more of my attention at that particular moment - so my
appologies if it seems almost like random babble.

Gnorb