Re: [SLUG] suse upgrade (7.0 to 7.3)

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 23:29:57 EST

Samba like like Apache and a few others should be built from source, in my
opinion. I stopped using distributions (both RedHat and SuSE) versions of
server s/w as they install it differently from the developers.

As far as Samba and Apache, I've been where you are. Uninstall it. Then build
your own from Samba and Apache. Then never let SuSE upgrade those.

I could not use either in my production environments as they ship anyway.
Over the years I've tried with RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE versions of Apache.
Never again I tell you. For most other s/w it's OK, just not server s/w.

Well, by being so repetitive I guess I'm still annoyed for having done what
you did myself. Donno if this is what you want to hear but in the long run,
well I've already said it...

Steve

--

Steve