Re: [SLUG] Sun screws Open Source beta community (again)

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 04:00:50 EST

I thought Sun was pretty up-front about this from the start. When I
looked at it I never got the idea they would be giving StarOffice away
forever. I was under the impression that you could download
time-bombed, cripple-ware beta versions for free. You got to use it for a
few months and evaluate it. Sun got the benefit of a bigger set of
testers and some mindshare that might lead to marketshare. It seemed
clear to me that they always had intended to $ell it for real money when
they were ready to ship the final version. Sure, it would be nice if they
gave it away, but I don't think they ever intended or managed to deceive me.