Re: [SLUG] Sun screws Open Source beta community (again)

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 21:40:13 EST

On Monday 25 February 2002 16:42 L, you wrote:
> Sun screwed nobody.
>
> Sun:
> 1) Paid a LOT of money for a flaky office suite called "Star Division". If
> you had ever used Star Division, you would agree that it was flakey. It was
> a good idea looking for some TLC ... but it was NOT an MS-Office killer.

Bill and all others out there.
I agree, I have been using the copy Mike sent me and will pay them whatever
they want for it as soon as I can purchase (I will have to see if it is
available yet) the code. I have been able to open every stupid WORD, EXCEL,
PP, and other MS files that I have been able to throw at it plus a load of
others that come from my customers. I work with a software house and wish
that we would start looking harder at Open Source but when I see the type of
whining and crying as seen with regards to Sun and SO because Sun did not
give away the crown jewels I loose a bit of respect for some of you, you see
people that write code pay my salary and they do need to make some money
for it or I am out looking for another job

I have SO 5.2 and find SO 6.0 to be a real BIG improvement over the snail that
is 5.2,and well worth the 48 or 99 that they maybe asking when it is all said
and done. I have paid for a lot of software, some of it good some of it crap,
but I see nothing wrong with paying someone for something if you feel it is a
good addition to your system.

The old saw "Money Talks, BS walks" is still true, Or as they say in Costa
Rica, Plata en mano, culo en tierra.... People do a lot of the common good
but they still have to pay bills and keep the missus or whatever happy, mine
would not let me go very long without bringing home some green.

So back off or go download the freebee version and use it.

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT