Re: [SLUG] Perl Thing

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 17:48:16 EST

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Bob Stia wrote:

> More guidance ?? Please ??? I really hate being ignorant.

Don't worry about it...what's frustrating is that I couldn't figure out
why you were having such problems.

Well, I downloaded the latest pysol (4.80) to see what we're dealing with
here. Now I know what's going on.

The file "pysol" is a Bourne Shell script. (Lots of script types, eh?)
You can tell this by running "file /usr/local/pysol-4.60/pysol".
Confirming this (since it's a script and not a binary), you can look at
the first line which reads:

        #! /bin/sh

If this line was /usr/bin/perl or /usr/bin/python one of those other
things we had been trying would work.

Now, there are two ways to run the script. The first is the way we've
been trying, only with a different interpreter.

        sh /usr/local/pysol-4.60/pysol

The other way is to run it like any normal command. To do this, you need
to have read/execute permissions. Doing an "ls -l
/usr/local/pysol-4.60/pysol" should return something like:

        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root other <size> <date> pysol

As long as all the little "x"s are there then you can just use the
following command line:

        /usr/local/pysol-4.60/pysol

(This is what you would do if pysol was a binary executable, of course.)

Now that we know how to run it, if it doesn't throw up our happy solitaire
game now we should be able to find out more information. (The pysol
script in question launches some other stuff written in python, which is
part of the errors we were looking at before.)

Let me know if this fails and how it fails. Maybe your installation is
corrupt. The homepage for pysol can be found at
http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/pysol which has the latest version as
well as links to the RPMs (down at the bottom of the page) on rpmfind.net.

Whew! It's been a long, strange journey, but I think we're near the end.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com