Re: [SLUG] MS Threatens to Pull Windows From Market?!

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 01:31:35 EST

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:05:33PM -0500, Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/05/0232253&mode=thread
>
> GREAT story by Robin. If any of you know anyone who has a business that
> operates on WIndows, this might be the thing that makes them switch for
> good.

There is no chance at all that MS will stop shipping Windows. This is
Ballmer threatening the most dire of consequences to avoid what the
non-settling states want. And it's an indicator of just how much he
fears the possibility that, in the end, the non-settling states could
win their case.

Some possible scenarios, if Ballmer were to do something like this:

1) MS refuses to ship Windows to non-settling states, and refuses to
support Windows installations in those states. Consequence? Users in
those states flock to Apple or Linux. User groups beef up and
independent companies start making money supporting Windows in those
states. MS is already seeing serious erosion in their overseas markets
because of Linux. Cutting off non-settling states would backfire beyond
anyone's wildest dreams.

2) MS does indeed stop shipping Windows. They thus destroy their income
stream. MS stockholders file a class action lawsuit against MS
management. Microsoft stock becomes worthless, just because brokers
become "uncertain" about it.

3) MS stops shipping Windows, and Ballmer gets the ax (a sacrificial
lamb). A more reasonable management team takes over and works out a
"deal" with the non-settling states. Bill Gates, being the ultimate
confrontationist (?), retires to Seattle. Microsoft, without the usual
cutthroats in charge, is never the same again. Management narrowly
avoids the aforementioned stockholder class action lawsuit.

Would IBM have stopped shipping mainframes in return for their consent
decree? Would AT&T turn off the phones because of theirs?

No folks, I think your Windows is safe for a long time, no matter what
gets dictated to Microsoft. I say let's call Ballmer's bluff, and see
how far he's willing to go.

Paul