Re: [SLUG] dsl and linux connections

From: patrick grantham (pwgrant@cssi-fl.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 13:36:43 EST

Yes. The box's DNS client was configured to use TWC dns servers, but the box
was NOT on a TWC network. I removed those DNS IPs and added the IPs of the
server for its ISP. I also added a hostname and IP for it's router to the
box's etc/hosts file. The problem was clear up.

If you want the 98 box to be a router then you will have to configure it to
share it's connection. I believe the option is located in the network
properties, select the adapter, click properties, then "share"

my post was somewhat unclear. Here's what I suggest (this is was I do):

  Use the cable/dsl router AS the router. Conenct it's WAN port to the dsl
modem (public internet or untrusted) network, then connect the LAN port to
your (private or trusted) network, plug in the power. Within a few seconds,
the router should autosense through the DSL connection the WAN IP, GW DNS,
etc. By default linksys routers use 192.168.1.1 as the defualt LAN ip and a
subnet mast of 255.255.255.0. On the linux box configure the eth0 to be on
this subnet (i.e ip: 192.168.1.2, sm: 255.255.255.0, gw: 192.168.1.1.) Open
a browser connect to the router's web interface (for linksys:
http://192.168.1.1) login, enable the dhcp option (and any other setting you
want.) Add the DNS settings you find in the router to the linux box and ping
something like www.yahoo.com. If you get replies, you are done with the
settings on the linux box. If you don't you could always enable dhcp on the
linux box and have it auto-acquire its ip settings (I don't because I never
want the IP on the linux to change as I forward some internet traffice ports.
 In my router I setup port forwarding for smtp, pop, www and a couple of
others. As a matter of note, the instructions for setting up a '98 box are
in the linksys router. You might find it easier to work the '98 box first.
Don't expect ANY support for the linux, calling the helpdesk for support.
They don't support routers either, but with a '98 box set to auto-aquire (my
case my kids use a WinMe box) you can easily conenct the 98 box directly to
the DSL modem when troubleshooting.

I hope I have not missed anything. I the external harware router because of
the added security. I have more confidence in the external device, that my
missing some security setting or vulnerability. If I discover some terrible
vulnerability with apache, I can simply close ALL ports on the router have
effectively isolated the machine from the net.

Though I do regret somewhat not having setup a linux box as a router yet.
There is value in the learning experience. Some years ago, a veteran network
architect advised me to keep it simple and modularized. The simpliest
solution is always the best he said.

good luck. I hope this has been helpful.

Patrick