Re: [SLUG] dsl and linux connections

From: patrick grantham (pwgrant@cssi-fl.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 14:18:51 EST

On Thursday 07 March 2002 13:02, you wrote:
It's really up to admin how much of a role beyond routing want it to do. I
suppose one could disable the routers DHCP server and have the Linux box
provide that service. A network really should have two dhcp servers. If the
router went down, the linux dhcp server could assign IPs (though 98, 95, Me,
will use the last know IP if it cannot find a dhcp server.) If implementing
this senario, the router dhcp server and Linux dhcp (or bootp) server should
assign IP's of differnt ranges, but in the same subnet. One would not want
both servers to assign the same IP to two different boxes. When a client
sends a dhcp request, it uses the settings provided by the who answers first.

I would not do this first time out though. I use the router for all those
sharing needs.