Re: [SLUG] Perl Thing

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 18:28:17 EST

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 02:12:52AM -0500, Bob Stia wrote:

> On Sunday 03 March 2002 09:46 pm, you wrote:
> ..............<snip of other crying and consoling>............
> >
> > Python compiles its source files into bytecode (sort of a python
> > machine language). The original file will be <something>.py and the
> > bytecode version will be <something>.pyc. Python will run the
> > bytecode version automatically, if it's available. OTOH, if you
> > delete the
> > bytecode/compiled version, it will run the source version. Normally
> > a "magic number" is something in a file that allows Linux to
> > determine what type of file it is. Most types of file have some
> > sort of indicator in them that marks them as distinct from other
> > types of files.
> >
> > In any case, you should be able to delete the .pyc file and run the
> > source file as you did above. Hopefully, it should work. Of course,
> > at this point, who knows? ;-}
> >
> > Paul (the other one)
>
> Wellll Paul (the other one) Thanks for jumping in and trying to help.
> Deleted the pysol.pyc file and here is what happened:
>
> bob@linux:~ > sh /usr/local/pysol-4.60/pysol
> python: can't open file './data/pysol.pyc'
> bob@linux:~ > /usr/local/pysol-4.60/pysol
> python: can't open file './data/pysol.pyc'
> bob@linux:~ >
>
> I guess I have to give up and keep the dual boot so my wife can play
> card games that she wants.

Y'know, if you have a modern distro, there are other card games
available besides pysol. KDE comes with them, and if you get desperate,
there is even a package called something like "bsdgames" around that has
tons of games. I know, this doesn't help with pysol. I'd have to know
more about your setup to troubleshoot that one. Maybe Mr. Braman would
have a better handle on it, since I think he downloaded pysol to look at
it.

Paul