[SLUG] OT For fun

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 03:11:21 EST

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2094115,00.html

Donations to the rotating sig file pile. :-)

"People buy an operating system to solve a problem. If it can't solve it with
Linux, even if it's free, it's of no value to them." --Doug Miller,
Director of Competitive Strategy, Microsoft WIndows division

But if it creates more and worse problems than it solves, and also costs an
arm and a leg, it's valuable? -- Bill Canaday, Linux User, Detroit, MI

------

"I think end users are seeing Linux as an answer to the lock-in to
Microsoft," she said. "The pain point has already been reached." --Stacey
Quandt, Analyst, Giga Information Group

------
If the vendor hasn't fixed the bug in 28 days, then tough -- after that
you're not reporting bugs, you're covering up for a company's incompetence,
and there's a very big difference. -- Alan Cox, Linux Kernel Hacker
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2106110,00.html

The official part of it was actually very non-productive. The amount of work
that got done over beer and at three in the morning cannot possibly be
underestimated. --Alan Cox, inserting foot into mouth, Ottowa Linux Show

People who are not following the (free software) licence are pirates, it's as
simple as that. --Alan Cox
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2106081,00.html

"The amount of work that got done over beer at 3 am cannot possibly be
calculated," he added. --Alan Cox
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2106032,00.html
Nor remembered. -- Bill Canaday, Linux User, Detroit, MI :-)

----
And in a final sideswipe against Microsoft, he adds: "I personally have
disclosed vulnerabilities since 1996 about Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Netscape,
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Sun and others. Only one of the above has claimed I am
irresponsible."  --Georgi Guninski

"I don't find it logical for it to be responsible to sell under-tested and under-quality software, and for it to be irresponsible to disclose a bug," he said. -- Georgi Guninski http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2105133,00.html ______

"While the industry can and should deliver more secure products, it's unrealistic to expect that we will ever achieve perfection," he said. -- Scott Culp, Microsoft A retail copy of XP goes for nearly $300. Soooo ... how much do you want for the good stuff? --Bill Canday, Linux User

By some estimates, the Code Red worm infected more than a million Web servers running Microsoft's Internet Information Server software for Web servers. http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2097529,00.html

And continues to harass Linux machines to this day. -- Bill Canaday, Linux User ------