[SLUG] Problem with smtp timeout

From: JVergara@equinox.com
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 14:37:47 EST

Hi, guys.
I have a Linux RH 7.2 server working with Samba, qmail and two network
cards.
One for the Bellsouth DSL connection and one for the internal network.
Everything was working fine, but suddenly the smtp part of qmail is
timing out.
So when the e-mail clients (Outlook express) try to send an e-mail,
they get an error
saying that the stmp server (the Linux box) did not respond.

I went to the Linux box and test its response like this:

# telnet 127.0.0.1 25

responded right away

but,

#telnet 192.168.0.1 25 (that the ip address of the network card for
the private network)

took more than one minute to get a response back.

The thing is my setup was working happily and I haven't changed
anything.
I don't know where to start to look for the problem.
I only can think of the box trying to do some round up to the DNS
servers when being requested for a SMTP
session.
I don't have local DNS in the Linux box and the resolv.conf file holds
the two nameservers from a company
called "gate.net" instead of Bellsouth's ones.

Thanks for any lights to this problem,

Juan C.