[SLUG] Guest OS as gateway for host with VMware

From: Michael Grossman (ceratophyllum@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 09:52:49 EST

Is anyone here familiar with VMware? I am trying to
use it to get linux connected to compuserve 2000 PPP.

The idea is to allow the virtual machine which is
runnign win98 and compuserve 2000 to run a proxy
server that the host OS(Suse 7.3) can access via the
virtual network device (vmnet1). So linux sees an
ethernet card that it thinks connects it to another PC
running win98. The proxy I am trying to use is called
PPPShar Pro.

So far, my linux box can successfully ping the virtual
win98 box and that's about it. Any attempt to access
the internet eg with netscape, configured to use the
the win98 machine as proxy, gives the error:

The connection was refused when attempting to contact
www.whatever.whatever.