Re: [SLUG] Thanks for the GUI EMAILS

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 00:42:28 EST

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 11:20, you wrote:
> Group:
>
> Thanks for the extensive list of links, and emails regarding this most
> basic gui question. I have plenty to digest and read.
>
> Xconfigurator and startx did not work (command not found message, I was at
> the [Admin@localhost /]$ prompt ) so I must need to do some further
> installation or configurations to the os.

David,

Do you know how to become the "superuser" for your system?

It is possible that your inability to starxtx came from one of two causes:

1) no version of X is installed on your computer. Possible, but unlikely.
2) You need to have root permissions to start it

I noticed (from the $ prompt) that you are operating as an unpriveleged user.
Good ... worth brownie points later. But that error message you mention has
two possible causes that I know of and you will need to determine which is
actually causing it.

LOTS of times bash ("Bourne Again SHell" ... the "dos prompt" you are looking
at) will respond "command not found" because you do not have the right to use
the command, not because it is missing.

type

locate startx <enter>

at your prompt.

You will likely get 2-3 lines showing that startx DOES exist on your system.
If that is the case, the problem is one of "permissions" and you will have to
become the superuser to make it work for you..

This might seem awkward, but it is one of the inherent security features of
Linux / Unix ... only an authorized user can run a program, read / write to a
file.