Re: [SLUG] Thanks for the GUI EMAILS

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 01:11:22 EST

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 23:04, you wrote:
> >I recommend, "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman and I
> >recommend, "Linux In A Nutshell," which is on sale at Barnes and Noble
> >in Sarasota for six bucks. But, I have the first editions of both books
> >which may not have all the erudite lore others may have accumulated.
> >
> >Logan
>
> Ok, I'd agree with you if we were dealing with a simewhat affluent user.

Norb ... c'mon, most folks can sell eggs or something to come up with $6. :-)

> However, dealing with a beginner, IM(ns)HO, the O'reilly books are a bit
> too much.

You're probably correct on this. Whoever dropped that computer off in David's
lap should make a return trip to show him how things work, eh? Especially
since David is talking about using the system for a server but isn't
comfortable with a CLI.

David ... there is a TON of information in the man / info / help files and
also in the how-to files. One of my personal fav informational web sites is
linuxlookup.org but YMMV.

However, those help files are absolutely useless until you know the names of
the programs you are trying to lookup. Just flat - out useless. So grab a
copy of "Linux Complete" (Sybex) for $19.99 list and thumb through the final
200 pages ... the command listing. If you are familiar (even if you are
uncomfortable) with commandline dos, it will all start to come back to you.
If you aren't familiar with commandline dos, it is time to get that way. It
won't bite and the CLI can be your friend when the GUI fails. At least in
Linux, unlike at least one other OS, if the GUI fails you can usually just
open up another console, login, fix what's wrong with the first console, and
keep on struttin'.

The Linux learning curve can be a little steep once you dig in past the
surface shiny ... but the overall experience is very convincing.

I am just "an average Joe" running ftp and http on my home box / DSL. The
following is the output of my "uptime" command:

 1:01am up 22 days, 22:18, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

In 22 days I have had one situation where I thought I might have to reboot
... but I found a way around it. In Linux, there is almost always a way
"around" a reboot.

Today I had 3 separate copies of the same file manager open (Nautilus) while
sorting out a little over 1,400 un-optimized graphics files (simultaneously).
Linux never missed a beat. :-)

After a while, ya come to expect that sort of stuff.

Bill