Re: [SLUG] moving a ntfs drive to a linux box.

From: patrick grantham (pwgrant@cssi-fl.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 23:12:13 EST

There are no apps "installed" on the drive and I have been disciplined to
only use the drive as a data drive. It's actually in an IDE drive in a
removable cage. I have used sneaker net occasionally, to transport the data
to my offsight assembly site (a storage room with a serverserver.) There are
some word docs that were have macros, though. Star-office does not seem to
convert those very well. I will probably just make PDFs from them and
continue on with life. I have managed to have an alternative Linux app for
every Win app I will be giving up. My last hold-out is PcAnywhere. I am
evaluating VNC for remote control access. However, It requires tcpip, but I
need one such that my Linux box can control a win box via tcpip or dialin via
modem. Push comes to shove, I suppose I could always access PcAnywhere (or
any other win app) via VMware.

Truth is, after this change, with only a few minor inconveniences I could
(literally) turn off the win box.

Thanks for the tidbits. any others?

Patrick