RE: [SLUG] Fw:Help with NT drivers for a Sony FX3

From: John Wright (wjohn1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 11:11:57 EST

Have you looked into the possibility of using a pcmcia modem "card"
and disabling the internal modem?

Try running the modem diagnostics in the windows or use AT commands
through HyperTerminal to determine the manufacturer/chip set used for
the modem. Then try to locate the drivers, Also try a generic type driver
from the "built-in" list. It is possible that if the chipset is a common
one ( Hayes, Motorola, or Racal for example) that these drivers will work
as well. Remember to try the slower types, if they work it will provide
an interim fix till a viable solution can be found.

AN inspection of the SONY website shows (And I do not have your exact
model number) that PC Card Slots are supported, Two type I or type II
or one type III Card Bus support. It would also appear that this laptop
is post "win 2k" and currently comes with xp (cough, gag)

This being the case, The suggestion to upgrade the OS to 2000 is probably
the correct one.(Though REALLY unpopular on this channel) :-O

Be careful about this though, with xp, there is a new bus architecture that
is being used in the e-machines for a new type modem and it does not even
play well with w2000 ( w2k does not recognize this new bus). I don't know if
this
info is even applicable with a laptop but had to replace the modems in the
e-machines to get them to work with w2k.

For additional entertainment... fire off am e-mail to the division that
saddled
you with this dilemma saying something to the effect of "We truly appreciate
having our laptops upgraded,..... I know that you have researched this new
asset
and its integration with our designated operating system and applications
thourghly
so I know this will be an easy question for you. I currently unable to find
the
necessary modem drivers for NT on the manufactures website. Please send me
the link to
proper site or a copy of the ...... " Dump it back in there court, and
let them
sweat it out. If they are unable to produce the necessary drivers, ask them
for a
specific day, month, and year, when THEY expect the fix to be deployed. Be
sure to
copy there management team as well.

Fred