Re: [SLUG] Booting from CD with Windows XP

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 10:28:42 EST

patrick grantham wrote:

>What about Win4Lin? Apparently, a commerically distribition version of Wine.
> Have you evaluated that? I am about to do so.

No, it's not Wine. Win4Lin is a VMWare-like product that lets you run
your Windows partition as an image in Linux at some cost in
speed/performance, which means that to make it work you must 1) have
Windows and 2) buy Windows software.

I have no intention of buying a bunch of expensive Windows software. My
StarOffice CD has the Windows version on it too, so I installed that on
the new laptop's Windows partition instead of the other way around.

If I wanted to give my hard-earned to Gates & friends, I'd run Windows
on my desktop in the first place.

- Robin