[SLUG] How much memory needed for a dial-on-demand/3C509 router?

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 12:11:54 EST

I'm planning to use an HP Vectra 486/25N as a dialup router (unless
anyone else would like to donate something else that runs cool enough to
remove all fans), and have two 3C509B NICs and a Supra 56i (true)modem.
I *might* want to use it as a print server, but that's gravy.

I have no RAM and I'm about to scream because it'll cost $26+S&H for a
16MB Kingston module (it supposedly wants 80ns FPM, although there have
been reports of getting the much-more-common 60ns FPM to work). The
motherboard can take up to three such modules for 48MB total memory.

Can anyone suggest how much memory I'll need for a stock distro kernel
and any modules and software that might be necessary? I can try paring
down the kernel, too (no PCI, no SCSI, no USB, etc.) if appropriate. I
don't want to spend around $80 maxing out the memory if I don't have
to. Last I heard, the Linux Router Project would run in 12MB but didn't
have diald.

And if anyone's got hardware (16MB FPM at any speed, a different
platform, a 486/50-66 CPU) in need of a good home, I'll help you out. ;)

Ben