Re: [SLUG] Convert ASCII to binary?

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 14:40:16 EST

I had the same kind of problem with incoming M$-Word docs not decoding back
to binary. Save the e-mail in a file and use the OPENSSL utility:

openssl base64 -d -in {source file} -out {save file}

Works like magic for me. The UUDECODE utility seems to want header data and a
"begin" line, perhaps indication how big the data block is. It never worked
for me lie OPENSSL. I use text editor to delete everything by the UUE encoded
block of data. Might not be necessary, but it's a precaution.

On Sunday 31 March 2002 11:02, you wrote:
> I have an immediate, serious problem caused by my own stupidity.
>
> I emailed a StarOffice file to myself to back it up before screwing
> with a Mandrake upgrade, knowing that I ran a significant risk of wiping
> out my /home partition, which I did.
>
> But I got my own email address wrong and the message bounced --
> apparantly as ASCII. Any ideas on how to resurrect this file? It's kind
> of important stuff. (Book chapter on deadline.)

(Snip)