Re: A silly question -- Re: [SLUG] Mailing List Policies

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 11:42:05 EST

No, he's being serious.

Major Domo is a retired fellow - I don't actually know if he's
ex-British Army, but he looks and sounds a bit like Desmond Llewelyn who
used to play "Q" on the bond movies, "hello sah, hit's a foyne day,
what?" and all that - and he works here at NKS as part of this program
we're in for retirees who want to remain active. (He's a volunteer, and
we receive some kind of tax credit, so let's not make out like we're a
bunch of long-haired hippie love-in types or anything...) I don't think
his name is really "Major Domo", or even if he's really ever been a
Major in anything, but that's what we've been calling him the whole time
he's been working with us.

He comes in daily and sits down at his workstation and picks through the
email that comes into the SLUG lists. He's got a printout of all the
email addresses of everyone on the lists, and he "forwards" a copy of
each email that comes in to him to each person on the list.

Sometimes he takes tea breaks, and I suppose he's got a bit of stiffness
in the extremeties as older folks are wont to have, so that's why
occasionally the list traffic is a bit slow going out.

If you send email directly to "majordomo" then he gets it, and based on
the list of keywords we've given him, he will respond with one or
another canned message with a help message, or a list of everyone on his
printout, or something like that.

He's really a nice old bat, so he'll be happy to hear someone's
recognized his long, tedious hours. He does enjoy working at the PC,
and seems to get some kind of satisfaction out of it. He doesn't really
take part in the list, I guess it's the activity more than the content
that gives him the satisfaction.

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 11:00, Patrick (at work) wrote:
> very funny, wise guy!

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map
{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;
$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)
[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;$_=unxb24,join
"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d
>>12^$d>>4^$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*
print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \ | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ http://www.eff.org/ http://www.anti-dmca.org/