[SLUG] (FWD) BOUNCE slug@lists.nks.net: Non-member submission from [Mark Saunders <sandor@worldnet.att.net>] Admin request of type /^\s*help\s*$/i at line 1

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 18:48:03 EST

False administrivia bounce.

----- Forwarded message from slug@lists.nks.net -----

Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:21:12 -0500
From: Mark Saunders <sandor@worldnet.att.net>
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: RH7.2 file system problem

H*lp

I signed up for Red Hat's RHN update service (I probably shoud have
known better) on Sunday, Mar 31. There were about 50 updates scheduled
so I left the machine running over night. in the morning it was locked
up so I restarted it and it will not boot. It stops after it loads the
first few proceses. If I ctrl+c ig gives the following message

/etc/rc5.d/S97rhnsd line -44 187 segmentation fault touch
/var/lock/subsys/rhnsd
and rhnsd is the RHN network daemon. !

It appears the file system from the boot drive is being mounted
read-only and I cannot find out how to make it boot normally. I have
loaded the distro CD and gone into linux rescue mode but again,
everything is read only. It boots to a shell prompt. I tried to edit the
config files to disable the RHN daemon but even in rescue mode it all
read only - even as root? what's up with that?

I believe that all of the hardware is intact and functioning normally.
Please let me know where to go from here. My system is Red Hat 7.2 on a
homebuilt system with a Soyo KY7 Dragon + mb, 256 Mb ram, 20 GB hd, AMD
1700xp+ processor.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Saunders
msaunders@tampabay.rr.com