Re: [SLUG] Running a mail server in the privacy of my own home

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 00:37:23 EST

On Wednesday 03 April 2002 22:23, you wrote:
> Bill cross posted this to MDLUG, and someone from there CC'd our list,
> where it (of course) bounced.

Guilty as charged and sorry for the CC but I am tantalizingly close ... but
have yet to taste victory.

I can get mail addressed to bill@a.organic-earth.com. Now what I want to do
is get it addressed to bill@organic-earth.com and also allow my wife and
close family to have accounts on this server (using recent postfix)

Am I headed in the right direction (to get mail addressed to
organic-earth.com) or should I show a.organic-earth.com in the Host Name
section?

Host Name            Priority Mail Server
organic-earth.com Hi        a.organic-earth.com <--original entry
organic-earth.com Hi        organic-earth.com

/etc/hosts looks like this:
[root@a bill]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.xxx.xxx           a.organic-earth.com a
#192.168.xxx.xxx  organic-earth.com       a organic-earth

Does my problem perhaps lie here?

Yahoo has announced that they want folding money for hosting e-mail and I am
tired of changing my email address every few minutes (or so it seems).
Moreover, organic-earth.com is intended to eventually add to the family
exchequer so I thought it would be a good idea to have my email coming to
bill@organic-earth.com instead of the current organicearthdotcom@yahoo
address. That "@yahoo" sticks in my craw.

Bill