[SLUG] Its working but I do not know why...

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 08:37:24 EST

Hello All,
        After 5 months of insanity in our new office with a multitude of
Windoze boxen of many flavors 9x, NT, 2k, etc etc blah blah, I took 30
minutes of my busy day to set up our headless wonder file/printer server
SuSE 7.2 box to become PDC of all the windoze boxen. Of course, the
sheep obeyed immediately (9x NT) but the rebel sheep (win2k boxen)
b0rked when I tried to set their domain. The error mentioned the
process was too high. I RTFM'd and ensured I was running at least Samba
2.2.0 or < and the machine is running Samba 2.2.0-suseflavored
extention. According to everything I read, the win2k boxen should obey
and allow me to set the domain. But, they did not allow me to do this.

        Here is the kicker: The win2k boxen are using the file server as the
PDC anyway. How is this possible?!!? What two sticks are being rubbed
together to make this happen? Windoze users are able to change their
password on the Windoze box and the password changes and is usable on
other Windoze boxen and when I telnet into the Linux box with the new
password it works too. Of course, this is what I wanted to happen, but
I was never able to set the domain on the Win2k clients.
        Maybe I should just leave them alone, but I hate not knowing why this
is working correctly.

Logan

--
8:20am up 59 days, 14:16, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.02
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the