[SLUG] Samba printer share problem on NT box

From: Clay, John (John.Clay@lfr.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 11:27:43 EST

I'm now trying to install a print driver for my hp4v so that, from my NT
box, I can send print jobs to it via my Samba server.

* the 4v is a networked printer at 10.10.12.7.
* it's installed and operational on the NT box via JetDirect TCP/IP
port addition during the add printer procedure so I figure I've got
reasonable drivers
* the 4v is functional when printing from the Samba box
* I can see file and printer shares on my NT box
* but - when I try to install a print driver for the Samba printer
share (printer1) I get some messages:
* "the server on which the printer resides doesn't have a suitable
driver - click ok if you wish to install the driver on your local machine"
(my nt box)
* I click ok and navigate to the nt directory that contains the
unzipped driver suite from hp
* the dialog is looking for a .inf file
* my directory contains hp4v.inf, I select it and click ok
* response is: "printer driver setup error - the printer driver is
unknown" and so the procedure fails

I'm puzzled. Any ideas?

Thanks Much

John Clay