[SLUG] Re: /tmp -> /var/tmp

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 18:28:17 EST

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Paul Braman wrote:

> I wonder if there are any caveats to making /tmp a symbollic link to
> /var/tmp.

Aside from my mispelling (symbolic), here was the caveat...

    Filesystem Hierarchy Standard -- Version 2.2 final

    3.15 /tmp : Temporary files

    Although data stored in /tmp must be deleted in a site-specific
    manner, it is recommended that files and directories located in
    /tmp be deleted whenever the system is booted.

    5.15 /var/tmp : Temporary files preserverd between system reboots

    The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that
    required temporary files or directories that are preserved
    between system reboots. Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is
    more persistent than data in /tmp.

Maybe /tmp could point to /var/tmp/tmp. That might solve that problem.

Oh, and I found this little gem at Red Hat (my text)...

    Make any link from /tmp to /var/tmp/tmp using the commands

        cd /
        ln -s ./var/tmp/tmp ./tmp

    This will prevent errors during upgrades and rescues when /
    may, itself, be mounted below another filesystem (/mnt in
    ramdisk, for example).

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com