Re: [SLUG] Logical Volume Manager

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 22:21:22 EDT

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Paul Braman wrote:

> Hmmm...and here I am talking up the LVM at work. That'll show me to try
> and advocate Linux. ;)
>
> The LVM we use at work on Solaris will let you extend a partition without
> even unmounting it. Gosh I hope Linux gets this soon...it's rather nifty.

HP and IBM do too ... yep, they are great

-- and if one _really_ needs LVM, there are few substitutes.

But Linux is the attack of the small rats, over-running the
lumbering dinosaurs. If you run out of space, throw another
rat at it -- rsync copy to the new unit, while hot to
reconfigure partitioning or move into a bigger disk.

Reboot both to R/L 1, and start JUST networking; re-rsync to
current. and then reboot again --

-- all done.

I'm specing a mailserver with dual P-III, 4G ram, dual nic and
video and UW-160 SCSI controller onboard -- under $2k -- we're
doing the devel work on another chassis -- most of the ram
will be a loopback ramdisk holding /var/spool/mail -- it will
sing, and should relieve our diskbound current mailserver just
fine. (I'll rsync the queue over before starting any
services, UPS heavily, and re-sync to HD before stopping)

No OS license costs make it reasonable to try such approaches.

-- Russ Herrold