Re: [SLUG] Logical Volume Manager

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 20:24:32 EDT

On Sunday 07 April 2002 20:41 L, you wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, R P Herrold wrote:
> > I position /boot as first partition _everywhere_ -- 60M is
> > plenty; and add
> > /var/log
> > /var/ftp
> > /var/spool
>
> It's debatable whether you need a /boot seperate from / or not. It's
> kinda like "rules of thumb" for sizing swap partitions.
>
> There are a few rules, however, that are best followed even by novice
> users. As Mr. Herrold demonstrated in his examples, you should make sure
> that the partitions that may grow unbounded are seperate from those that
> control your operating system.
>
> Directories like /tmp, /var, and /home may fill up quite rapidly, so keep
> them seperate.

I am still learning about sizing, so I will ask a bit here.
I am setting up a small SAMBA file server, it will have about 10 - 15 users
on it. The clients (for time being, I already used the FREE word and saw
their pointy ears perk up) are Windows machines. Machine has 256M
of RAM

The machine I am setting up will have two hard disk
The first one will be a 2.5G HD, the second one will be a 40G HD.
I would like to get some input on the partitioning for such a system
I presently have it as follows

HDA
/ = 1024M
SWAP =256M
/tmp = 512M
/var = 512M

HDC
Swap = 512M
/var/spool = 2048M
/usr = 2048M
/opt = 2048M
/home = 30008M

Are these good numbers or can I do better?

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT