Re: [SLUG] computer building kits?

From: Stephen Reiach (sreiach@myrealbox.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:33:34 EDT

Yeah there are a comple places:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dcsystems/computerkits.html
http://www.barebonespckits.com/
http://pricewatch/ [The mother load of all price systems] Under barebones, "Unassembled Kits"

I cant speak personaly for any of these companies.

Basically, what you want is a "bare bones" system as its sold on many websites. What might be your best bet however to just to copy down all the parts of one of these kits and walk into a computer bits store. It might be little pricier then online, but you dont have to wait or pay for shiping. And you can return it right away if a part doesnt work.

Make sure to check HW compatability: http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/

I would also recomend instead of standard flat cables, get the rounded ones which alow for better air circulation and a cooler system.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/cases-mods.shtml

The real question of the day is.. which distro?

PS For a middleschooler the neon lights are a must PC mod! :-)

Hope this helps.

Stephen Reiach
sreiach@myrealbox.com

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:19:10 -0400