[SLUG] Modem Pooling

From: Daniel MacLaren (maclaren@helios.acomp.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 18:22:14 EDT

At work, we have two phone lines with modems that we want to share among
10-13 people in our office. In the past, we used a product called
Winport, by Lansource, to share these modems, but this setup is no longer
working and Lansource is no longer in business.

I've read the "Modem Sharing mini-HOWTO" and setting up the Linux box
won't be a problem. Our problem is that we need a "COM-port redirector for
TCP/IP" for our Windows clients - a program for Windows that can use the
service on the Linux machine as a virtual COM port. The HOWTO recommends
DialOut/IP from http://www.tactical-sw.com, but the information on
licensing appears to be out of date (they want $1700 for 13 seats).

Are there any alternatives to DialOut/IP?

Thanks,
Daniel