[SLUG] Lian-Li PC cases

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 19:57:39 EDT

Just picked up a Lian-Li PC-65 case and started putting some equipment in
it. Costs somewhere on the order of $190 (www.thinkgeek.com). If you
have the money to spend and need a new case, consider treating yourself to
one of these.

Think of all the cases you've worked on and griped about ergonomically.
Then think of some good designs to solve all the problems you've run into.
Finally, slap yourself because you're not worthy of thinking of a design
as good as Lian-Li. :)

Seriously, though, the case is worth every penny. There are thumb screws
for just about everything you would acvtively take apart. The only things
that use the classic Phillips head screws is the drive bays and mother
board attachment.

There are three fans (two in front, one below the power supply mount).
There's a switch to control the fan speed for the front two fans. They
even have a rudimentary air filter to attempt to keep the inside of the
case relatively clean. (It's easy to remove and clean the air filter by
just removing the face plate.)

The motherboard mount is one piece that includes the card slots. It
slides out the back of the case as one unit. The power supply mount is a
face bracket that you attach to your own power supply so you can use thumb
screws to load it in the case. The PC-65 has a large plexiglass window on
the side so you can see all those moving parts. [shrugs]

The inside of the case has several pieces covered with plastic protectors
to keep you from cutting yourself. There are even 4 USB attachments on
the front that you can connect to your motherboard.

I went the route of buying some ultra quiet fans (80mm, standard size).
You can replace the fans in the case with ease (but the speed selection
switch won't work).

As an added bonus to making the case look good, it has some carbon fiber
accents on the top and bottom of the front face.

Other than that, I can't wait to get the rest of my stuff shipped in so I
can build the rest of the PC and fire it up.

Just thought I would share a pleasant experience. :)

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com