Re: [SLUG] Modem Pooling

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 14:32:24 EDT

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 13:09, R P Herrold wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2002, Derek Glidden wrote:
>
> > I think this is such an unusual request, and nobody's really actively
> > maintaining any sort of "Linux modem pooling" software anymore, because
> > it's mainly Windows boxes and proprietary vertical and embedded OS's
> > that ever use modems to dial directly to each other anymore. Linux, by
> > virtue of its inherently networkable architecture, just does everything
> > over TCP/IP; whether via gigabit or dialup, it's still going to be
> > TCP/IP at the bottom of it.
>
> hunh? What are pppd and mgetty? I run dial up links which
> cross connect and unconnect themselves all over the country,
> under Linux.

I think what Derek is trying to say is that dialup access for any real
business use has quickly become a moot point. With live IP connectivity
just about everywhere (due to Cablemodems, T1's, xDSL, etc) and VPN
technologies taking hold to provide business private connectivity back
to home offices, who needs a modem anymore?

We no longer live in the days of UUCP here in the states. The era of
dialup ISP modem banks is now ending if not already dead. Most large
businesses are quickly outsourcing their modem dialup banks to larger
NAPs with their own dialup infrastructure and moving to VPN models for
remote access.

Heck, I don't have a landline anymore. My Tivo has a TivoNet card so it
connects over RoadRunner. My "home phone" is my cellphone. If you ring
my name at the front gate, I can punch you through from anywhere. Once
true 3G comes of age, I'll probably be wearing my webserver. I'm able to
get dialtone over the 'net anyway (see www.vonage.com, and other VoIP
providers), so why do I need a landline?

There is actually quite a bit of talk within IETF meetings and other
standards bodies who work with VoIP to address standards of analog modem
communication over VoIP channels for the purpose of providing PSTN modem
encapsulated dialouts. It really boils down to which codec you use, what
the latency is on the RTP packets to the VoIP gateway, and wether you
can disable the echo cancellors. Yes, you *can* make dialout calls at
33.6k with V34+ given the correct setup and equipment, but it still
requires an eventual termination into a class5 switch (or a class3
switch with some softswitch smarts and supporting equipment ;)

Until then, I'll still continue to repeat how 802.11 is the next
evolution from home modem dialups - in a community model though - large
802.11 access providers just can't seem to find a way to be financially
viable for any length of time.

Who needs a modem? I sure don't.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com