[SLUG] Xerox 265ST, 215, 2006 work with Linux?

From: Clay, John (John.Clay@lfr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 12:47:28 EDT

Do any of you have experience configuring any of the following Xerox
printers with Linux? We have a 265ST, 215 and 2006 color that need to be
functional via Linux/Samba if I've any hope of eliminating my NT file/print
server - something I badly want to do.

Here is what I've been able to accomplish with my Linux/Samba box (thanks
for your help) so far:
* support browsing by NT clients
* participate in NT domain security
* print to hp 4mv from NT boxes
* print to hp 4mv from Samba box
* drop/get files to/from Linux box
* set NT domain passwords on Linux box - eliminate login box for NT
clients upon Samba access
* share out user directories

The final elements, at least the ones that I can identify, that remain to be
sorted out, and which are mandatory for nuking Bill's Server Box are:
* get a tape backup operational - don't expect problems here, and
* get the xerox printers working - I do expect probs

These printers don't appear on the linuxprinting.org site.
Xerox appears to have a driver for the 265 but not the 215 or 2006.
I've tried the automated install of the Xerox driver on both RH 7.2 and
Slack 8.0. Both augered in. Before I bang my head against the wall too much
more I'd like to find out if this is doomed from the start.

So the general question is: Am I out of luck or is there some chance that
these printers can be made to work properly via Linux?

Thanks Much

John M. Clay
Senior Engineer
LFR Levine Fricke