Re: [SLUG] new PC by Saturday?

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 22:41:17 EDT

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> Why did you have to flash the BIOS?

The motherboard I installed, an Abit KR7A, only supported up to AMD Athlon
XP 1900+ CPUs. Although there was some manual settings possible for
FSB/multiplier, the AMD Athlon XP 2000+ falls right inbetween them and
won't boot with the default BIOS.

Thus, I was forced to upgrade to a newer version of the BIOS which would
support the XP 2000+. Turns out it's not too hard. I especially like
getting to use DrDOS for the flash disk. Problem is that it requires a
Windows PC to create the boot disk. (A trip into work fixed that.)

(These are just steps you are forced to take when you build your own PC
sometimes. Buying from a manufacturer that will integrate the pieces for
you can save these tiresome steps, but it's an experience I now am
comfortable with.)

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com