Re: [SLUG] what is scp?

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 14:55:54 EDT

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 12:58, Patrick (at work) wrote:
> Thank you teacher.
>
> I'm hungry for more.
>
> I am force to use w2k at the office. How can I ssh to Linux?

http://www.cygwin.com -> install "openssh" (scp native)
http://www.vandyke.com -> install "sftp" (FTP over ssh, not scp)
http://www.putty.nl -> just a free ssh terminal client
http://www.appgate.com/ag.asp?template=products&level1=product_mindterm
(Mindbright MindTerm Java SSH/VNC)

here's another list of ssh bits:
http://www.bcb.iastate.edu/bcblab/ssh-clients.html

Personally, when copying files to/from windows boxen over the 'net
remotely, I prefer IE Webfolders to Apache WebDAV and mod_ssl... that
is, when I'm forced to use a "normal" Windows box. Same goes for
MacOS/X. In a pinch, smbclient over ssh works when I need to access a
Windows fileshare remotely.

Any Microsoft machine that I'm forced to use for any length of time
immediately gets the Cygwin treatment.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com