[SLUG] SuSE 8.0

From: A2L1 (A2L1@gte.net)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 14:55:47 EDT

  Just a little update here. I think I will do as Ed does
from now on (if it aint broke, dont fix it ) . OK, well I
had a rock solid SuSE 7.3 install working here and all was
well with the world. I decided to get the new (8.0 ) Suse ,
as is my normal M O. Well, I'm here to tell you that even
tho there is alot of "new" stuff in the new SuSE all is not
well, there are some bro-ken things here. Nothing major and
most of the stuff is the problem of KDE3 and Gnome2 but
still---thinks are broke,and some parts of this release are
not right either. Dont get me wrong I still "love" SuSe but
think from now on I'll only update when the distro is on .2
or .3 after all the repairs.
  First off there is no longer Yast, only Yast2, so there
goes installing any non distro rpm and being sure it would
have everything in the proper places,etc. That being said
the new 8.0 is supposed to be Linux standard compliant so
maybe it will not be necessary to run Yast for a "proper"
install.
  The backwards compatability for KDE2 apps isnt fully
functional so there are apps that wont work,for now anyway,
one of my favorites included--cdbakeoven. There are a
couple of other apps also.
 In Gnome Pan wants to do an initial install everytime you
run it--there are a few other minor things like that.
 There are some X-window errors in root with KDE also and
for a gui lover like me, its an inconvenience. Now I dont
want it to sound like I'm bashing or anything I'm not.
There is also the issue of the sound fonts for SB Live and
AWE-- but there is a workaround already. I'm sure SuSE will
have fixes for any and all problems, and pretty quick too,
but I just wanted some of you to be aware that there are
issues,out of the box, with the new 8.0
  That being said, I do like SuSE and am sticking by this
distro. Almost every error/failure is a minor problem and
can be easily ( I hope ) repaired and as mentioned I am
sure SuSE will have update fixes posted. The new KDE 3 is
nice and has some merits as well as Gnome. The 8.0 includes
both open office and star office 5.2 and a few other office
apps ( Koffice etc), and the new manuals included with Pro
are more than helpfull because there is no longer a do it
all rc.config---I mean its still there but alot of the
commands are elsewhere now---stuff like that. I mention
these differences/errors because there were a few questions
about 8.0 posted here earlier.
  In my opinion if you want to do an install where
everything works out of the box and there are no
problems,and you dont need the latest and greatest stay
with 7.3. With all that said I do like 8.0 and there are
alot of good things about it and I'm sticking with it (just
going to the SuSE site alot for fixes/updates) I'm happy
with it and like the new KDE-Gnome---even XFE has some new
stuff--- even Evolution(Ximian) works well.
 So thats my two cents worth. I like the new SuSE 8.0 and am
happy with it ,as I'm sure alot of other people are,but, if
you want to do installs that are solid and SuSe stick with
7.3---for awhile anyway.

                                                        A J

--

No trees were cut down for the making of this mail. Many millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced