Re: [SLUG] mount and ftp site.

From: Norbert Cartagena (gnorb@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 22:09:49 EDT

patrick grantham wrote:
> This may sound like a odd question. Is there a way to create a mount point
> or symplic link that points to an FTP site?

You only really have one choice here: NFS to the machine. Not something
I'd recomend unless you have a VPN (virtual private network). NFS over
the net isn't exactly safe (*Derek, Ian, & Russ, stop laughing so loudly
- I know I've SLIGHTLY understated the danger ;-). Why not simply have a
script that opens up an ftp session to that box when you run it? After
all, something like ncftp deals pretty much with the same commands
(text) that you'd be using normally anyways. If you're using a GUI,
Konqui does a very good job of making FTP'ing (no snickering!) as simple
as transfering files from one directory/folder to another. That aside,
can you set up a VPN with this site? What are the details. Perhaps then
I could be of more assitance.

Gnorb