Re: Then why do we love Linux? (was: Re: [SLUG] Record uptime for Linux)

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 00:13:32 EDT

On Sunday 05 May 2002 16:09, you wrote:

> And thus my question. If *BSD is so good, why don't we all love *BSD? Is it
> philosophical? Practical?
>
> What does Linux need to do better to get to be as good as *BSD?
>
> Russell

I think it mostly starts in the area of marketing. Look on Unix, it's been
technically superior to anything out of MS as far as reliability goes.

However the growth was slow as it was not known or promoted to very widely.
It was also committed to maintain backwards compatibility with 286's. There
was no quest to put it on every desktop. Now where is it?

Bought by a company that distributes Linux!!

You should have heard how Unix guys used to talk down Linux.

So that was never pushed anywhere. I knew of Unix for a long time but did not
really get "into it" until Linux came along and I really got the advantage
with a Unix style OS.

The BSD's, like all other OS's, have much less development going on. The
level of public awareness is lower. This is no reflection to it's quality.
(Look at windows!)

As someone else already pointed out, FreeBSD, f.ex., is a bit faster and more
stable than Linux. But it does not have the same focus either.

Linus did one thing, if nothing else, right. He allowed all programmers onto
his game and everyone could contribute. What is the first urge you got as a
programmer once you've written a few programs?

You wanted to write something someone else would use! Right?

In my opinion, that created the grassroot operation it is. It cought the
attention of enough people to reach critical mass.

Windows had enough eye candy to catch attention. It sold sugar instead of
real food for long time. Look on Volvo. Always known as a good reliable car.
Boring as hell but reliable. It never sold very well. Reliable servers is not
the button for many people.

When you sell things you close them with the sizzle. Attention grabbing
things. I gues that proves that most people buy with their eyes, not their
mind.

--

Steve ________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail creates out-security, and more spam. By using it you teach others, less knowledgeable, that it's safe to use.