Re: [SLUG] hibernating one user then switching to another.

From: A. deLisser (adriand@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 14:30:00 EDT

Patrick,

It is possible to run multiple virtual consoles in X windows. I have
done this with the GNOME window manager (gdm) by adding a line to the
end of the file /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf. The last two lines of my file now
read:

0=/usr/bin/X11/X vt7
1=/usr/bin/X11/X vt8

When X starts you will have two separate GUI consoles. Ctl-Alt-f7 brings
up vt7 and ctl-alt-f8 gets you to vt8. This allows my wife and I to use
our computer at different times throughout the day without logging out,
and without interrupting each other's work.

On my RedHat 7.1 system, vt1 to vt6 are virtual command line consoles.

Regards,
Adrian.