Re: [SLUG] Slow SAMBA or what?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 02:15:10 EDT

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:16:28PM -0400, Chuck Hast wrote:

> I have a LINUX machine that I also use as a SAMBA box. I went to pull a
> file over to a windows 2k machine from the SAMBA machine, the file is a
> 74m directory, I am pulling it over a 100mb 100baseT connection 20 minutes
> seems a bit LONG for that path, do I need to tweek something in my SAMBA
> box? (I can't see anything to tweek in the windows box but then was there
> every anything TO tweek?)

Seems a little long, but...

1) You're dealing with TCP/IP, which puts overhead on top of the bytes
you want to move. With 1500 byte packets, your overhead might be as much
as 15-25%, I think. Plus, each packet must be "peeled" at each level of
the protocol.

2) Since this is not the only thing your machine is doing, it must
interrupt the transfer periodically to take care of other programs and
housekeeping chores. That's true on both ends of the connection, since
it's not synchronous.

3) You've also got disk latency, which is a bottleneck in a lot of
operations; disk access is the slowest thing on a PC.

4) There may also be a problem with other traffic on the network. If
other machines are also using the pipe, each must wait its turn to
transfer bits.

Anyway, this may not/probably doesn't explain it, but it's something to
consider when looking at how long a file transfer takes.

I don't think Samba is the problem, though. As far as I know, there's
no "throttle" parameter on Samba. This sounds more like a link
layer/transport layer/hardware layer problem.

Paul