Re: [SLUG] quick poll - who uses what mp3 player?

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 03:17:25 EDT

patrick grantham wrote:

> quick poll - who uses what mp3 player (for Linux)?

  I'm glad someone asked. MP3's use the processor to decode the

target file into streams that the sound card can use, wav players don't,
there is a huge difference in the need for processor power.
If you have a later mommy board than your kernel, as I do,
the chip set may not be properly supported by your module/s
is so disk accesses will cause annoying pauses in your mp3 play,
even with my 1 gig Athelon.* I switched to a much better
mp3 player, one that needs less CPU power, it is:

madplay

   I'm sorry I don't know where I got it, and it does the best mp3 to
wav conversion I have ever used. Once compiled & tested, I renamed
mpg123 to mpg123- and created a symbolic link from madplay to mpg123.

(so the commands in programs such as mc use the new player without you

having to go through changing a bunch of associations in sundry places)

* if your mommy board uses other than an Intel chip set.

       73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
    100% LINUX, 100% of the time. SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm