Re: [SLUG] cleaning a hard drive of GRUB

From: Joe (mce@dalismustache.com)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 00:25:23 EDT

huh?
Most drive maunf's if you call thier support dept have you low-level it
with thier utility disk that came with the drive or downloaded from thier
website. To properly diagnose(read cover up bad sectors by remaping them to
the engineering cylinder) the hard drive to determine if they should have you
send it in for warranty replacment.
The utilities don't call it low-level format anymore, but it is exactly what
they do (rewrite the sector ids and write 0's to all the sectors and remap
and bad sectors)

-Joe